01.12. Participation DFx Concert in Rockheim. Things were a bit hectic, the ConGlove not fully functioning. Still did a fine performance and proofed that the ConDiS system is on a right track. To use the ConGlove and a finger combination to start and stop Volume, Pan and Effect seems to work but I have to be very careful with the number of changes. By analyzing my own performance conducting eight voices from the Icelandic choir of Kjartan the following conclusion can be made:
- Switch between Volume (index finger and thumb making OK sign) to Pan (thumb up) seemd to be straight forward.
- Solder a stable version of the ConGlove perhaps design a box for the sensor – ask Johannes.
10.12. What to do:
Score – have to work on the interface probably use Bach graph interface instead of the Music?
Why? Not very user-friendly. Too heavy uses to much computing power. Does not have a linear graphical interface for Vol, Pan, and Fx etc. Have to use a grid that has a tendency to stutter. Notation interfaces a bit clumsy. Tracks not possible to rewind or start ad lib. in the composition.
Gesture recognition: Not working properly, would be very nice if possible to use for the following:
- Score following – The conductor can tell the computer where he/she is in the piece.
- Tempo following – The conductor can affect the tempo.
- Gestural analyzes – would be nice if possible to recognise 3 or more gestural patterns of the conductor f.ex. beat 4/4, 3/4, Volume change, Pan possition.
Darla Crispin – Director of Arne Norheim Center for AR
13.01. Worked on bach and cage in Max, trying to syncronize bach.roll or bach.score to the function object hoping to create a better interface for my program. Things could be going faster and still not sure if I should be spending so much time on this subject or let´s say the programming.
Will be working with Arne on the conducting tomorrow and should make some documentary (video). My first impression is that it might be too sophisticated, last time he had some difficulties to remember the various gestures for Volume and Pan. Have to spend some time on writings for the upcoming writing seminar.