03.06. Made some progress in the xio – surround panning. Gate for notepan v.s. xio pan works for one voice have to make it work for the others i.e. make a selector on which voice to control with xio.
Working on my max/MSP pad with a special focus on the panning factor.
How can I switch between the note~ panning or the pre-written panning and the ConDiS controlled panning?
Inlet 1, 2, 3
1. inlet- trigger gate; if = 0 then panning from note~ or pre-drawn object. If = 1 then panning coming from ConDiS.
2. inlet list of x y information from note ~ object.
3. inlet list of x y information from ConDiS or xii sensor.
the switch selects a list of x y information from either note~ or xio sensor and sends out outlet 1.
Number boxes are used to scale the xio_sensor according to the horizontal position of the hand.
Scaling is a pain in the neck and should be avoided in a future version. Perhaps possible to teach the program the 0 position of the hand.
As can be seen in the following illustration the x, y-axis is between 0. and 1.
Left Front: Coordinates 0. 0. Right Front: Coordinates 1. 1.
As can been seen in figure x.x. the pan position is the following:
front left is x=0. y=0.,
front right is x=0. y=1.,
back right is x=1. y=1.,
back left is x=1. y=0.
As can be seen in fig. x.x. there are three different columns according to the coordinates of the sensor. The read column reads the x-axis the blue y-axis and the green z-axis. The blue dot indicates the xio-sensor and the red dot the battery. If moved sideways to the right the red column (x) moves up when sensor rotates to 90° then gradually increases till 0 points at 0°. The blue column (y) moves in similar direction while the green column (z) has much smaller move although in a similar direction. The sensor is in magnetometer mode.
09.06 Found this max-patch that could be useful for future development of the panning selection.
Spent most of the day trying to make multiple Hadron settings, not going too well. Will continue tomorrow. Having trouble to use one patcher for 4 different Hadrons or Hadron settings. Might have to settle for making 4 separate. Will try that tomorrow.
Also found out that the break-board for the xio-sensor did not work as I thought. After lots of testing…
12.06 – 16.06 A major breakthrough in using sub-patches or bpatchers for dividing up the Condis max program. Thanks to Scott Hewitt and Samuel Freeman Vimeo “Live-coding mixer in Max/MSP. After watching and building a mixer from their tutorial I decided to rebuild my Hadron_control object. Still, there were few more technical problems to solve. My main concern is “how to use different Hadron presets for each individual track (voice, channel)”? After spending yesterday trying to find the best solution I decided to go with the following:
By dragging a folder with Hadron presets (made in Ableton Live) into the empty message window they will all appear in the menu list in alphabetical order (thanks to autopopulate1).
By making this patch a “bpatcher” in my program I can use a copy of the same “bpatcher” named hadron_control for all the other tracks hopefully saving some memory. Here is a look at the “bpatcher:
And the same “bpatcher” copied 3 times to get four copies, one for each track.
Fig. xxx shows four copies of the “bpatcher” hadron_control and the four copies of “bpatcher” hadroninterface. Next step is probably to combine hadroninterface and hadron_control to one interface. Now I can choose different presets of Hadron for each track and hopefully soon change these presets during the performance.
17.06. Spent most of the day preparing for tonight’s concert celebrating Iceland’s 71 yrs of independence. Managed to fix my mobile which has been kind of dysfunctional from day one. Read through the NTNU manual on how to connect Android to the eduoram system, that made the whole difference. Also did some preparation work for the soldering of the Condis Glove – ConGlove.
18.06. Back to business after a very successful concert conducting the Choir of Kjartan last evening. The first task to find out how to solder things together and after some struggle and confusion managed to solder the first three bending-sensors. Have to wait for the Glove to finish up the soldering part. Kari Moebeck wife of my friend and choir member Johannes teacher at the Department of Industrial Design at NTNU is sowing together a Glove that I will be using. Hopefully done on Sunday.
Few pictures from the soldering of ConGlove:
19.06. Moved to the multichannel room and did my setup for the demonstration on Wednesday, After a little technical problem it went op and is running. Have to find out how the multichannel control works but at firs sight, it seems to be doing OK but still having some trouble with back speakers will find out tomorrow.
20.06. Making faders for each finger (bending-sensor). Have to make a special bending-sensor scaling since each sensor has a bit different sensitivity which also can change from time to time or even with different persons using the glove. For the future, the autoscale might be a good function to speed up and perhaps simplify this procedure.